A major part of the University’s art collection is the product of donations. One of the first was Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie’s donation of portraits in 1668. The 19th century was an important period for the art collection, when several big donations were received. One of them was Karl Hård av Segerstads donation of 1840, which contained a large number of important works including Peter Aertsen’s monumental Butcher’s shop from 1551. This pivotal work in the development of the European still life tradition will in future be shown at Gustavianum, where other spectacular pieces from the University art collection – such as the Augsburg Art Cabinet of 1632 – are already exhibited.